First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. MK Gandhi
We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies. ML King
“The highest result of education is tolerance”
― Helen Keller
A total of 1806 screws were placed from L1 to S1
Consider all options
Before you agree to back surgery, consider getting a second opinion from a qualified spine specialist. Spine surgeons may hold different opinions about when to operate, what type of surgery to perform and whether — for some spine conditions — surgery is warranted at all.
2015: The Year of Health Care Cost Transparency
BCBSNC’s Transparency Tool
BCBSNC helped kick off an active year for health care cost transparency in January with the launch of new transparency tool. It allows consumers to search by procedure or keyword to find an expected total cost for more than 1,200 procedures and tests.
“Many consumers believe that the highest cost facility is the highest quality facility, but that’s often not the case,” said Susan Weaver, MD, the company’s chief medical officer.
Well said , pain / pleasure cycles of life. Its a secret and it’s a steep learning curve for few. I dont know if its a destination but more a process. Control is such an illusion in the grand scheme of things and life.
Core disciplines to high quality pain care
1. Knowing about your pain condition, behavioural modification and social support help to cope with pain.
2. Judicious pain medication use – benefits of functional improvement should outweigh risks of misuse and side effects of medications.
3. Regular 3-4 times / wk exercise , organic low fat diet, physical therapy, weight loss, stopping smoking
4. Pain interventions with low risk and better long term pain control are viable options
5. Final stage of pain care is decision to undergo surgery after informed consent and looking into details of risks, benefits, alternative to back or neck surgery
6. Few question one needs to ask , what are the costs and benefits of any treatment option and what are the outcomes of any treatment option ? What are your options after an extensive surgery or multiple surgeries
7. Patients should be encouraged to involve in this critical decision making.
The lower back- is a structure of interconnections and overlapping key elements. Tendons and muscles and soft tissue . Highly sensitive nerves and nerve roots that travel from the lower back down into the legs and feet . Small and complex joints that support the core muscles. Spinal discs with their gelatinous sensitive inner cores.Treatment options include addressing each element.
Sciatica – pain along the large sciatic nerve that runs from the lower back down the back of each leg – is common. Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve is irritated or compressed by a problem in the low back, thus sending pain from the sciatic nerve down to the buttock and sometimes down the back of the leg.